Ricardo Olivera García
Ricardo Olivera García is the founding and managing partner of the Firm. With more than 40 years of professional experience, he is one of the most prominent lawyers in Uruguay, and one of the most respected academic experts in Commercial and Banking Law. Olivera García is a first-choice reference for highly complex cases and has vast experience in international commercial arbitration. He is Professor of Commercial and Banking Law, Dean of the Law School of the University of Montevideo, international arbitrator, author of some of the most relevant commercial and financial national regulations passed in the last twenty years, and consultant and advisor for the government and national and international companies.
- Professor of Commercial Law, University of the Republic (1978 to date).
- Former Professor of Commercial Law at the Law Schools of the Catholic University of Uruguay (1994-1996) and the University of Montevideo (1987-2004).
- Dean of the Law School of the University of Montevideo (1998-2004).
- Former Professor and founder of the courses of Banking Law at the Law Schools of the University of the Republic (1990-2003), the University of Montevideo (1987-2004) and the Catholic University of Uruguay (1996-2000).
- President of the regional group of the Spanish Club of Arbitration (2016-2018). Honorific President.
- Emeritus Dean of the Law School of the University of Montevideo.
- President of the National Academy of Law of Montevideo.
- Academic member of the National Academy of Economics.
- Corresponding Academician of the National Academy of Law and Social Sciences of Buenos Aires, the National Academy of Law and Social Sciences of Cordoba, and the Argentinean Association of Comparative Law.
- Founder of the Conciliation and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Uruguay (International Court of Arbitration for Mercosur) and Member of the Board (1996 to date).
- Member of the Latin American Arbitrators Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) of Paris.
- Former member of the Permanent Revision Court of the Mercosur and part of the list of arbitrators designated by the Uruguayan Government to act in conflicts between States that are part of Mercosur.
- Participated in the drafting of bills to regulate the Securities Market and Debentures, Business Organizations, Investment Funds, and Warrants.
- Participated in the drafting of the regulation of off-shore banking activity in Uruguay and of the regulation of exchange houses.
- Hired by the Uruguayan Government to draft the Trusts Law and the Bankruptcy and Companies’ Reorganization Law.
- Founder and Director of the Yearbook of Uruguayan Commercial Law (Anuario de Derecho Comercial).
- Director of the Commercial Law Review (Revista de Derecho Comercial)
- Part of the list of arbitrators of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes CIADI (Washington DC)
- Member of the Editorial Council of the Revista de Direito Mercantil, Industrial, Económica e Financiero (RDM).
- Doctor in Law and Social Sciences, University of the Republic (1976).
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners Latin America as “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution (2022).
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners Latin America as “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution (2021).
- Ranked by IFLR 1000 as “Highly Regarded” practitioner in Banking (2021)
- Recommended by Legal 500 for Banking & Finance (2021).
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners Latin America as “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution (2019).
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners Latin America as “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution (2018).
- Ranked as “Leading Lawyer” by Legal 500 in Corporate and M&A and Dispute Resolution (2018).
- Recommended by Legal 500 for Banking & Finance (2018).
- Ranked by IFLR 1000 as “Highly Regarded” practitioner in Banking.
- Recognized as “Excellent” by Leaders League ranking in Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution (2018).
- Recognized as “Highly Recommended” by Leaders League ranking in Corporate and M&A (2018).
- Uruguayan Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Latin American Committee of Lawyers Expert in Banking Law of the Latin American Federation of Banks (FELABAN)
- Mediation and Arbitration Business Center of Buenos Aires (CEMA)
- International Insolvency Institute
- Uruguayan Institute of Commercial Law
- Uruguayan Institute of Financial Studies
- National Academy of Law of Buenos Aires
- Argentinean Association of Comparative Law
- National Academy of Economy
- Spanish, English and Portuguese.
Autor of 30 books and more than 200 articles, published in Uruguaya and abroad. Among the book it is worth mentioning the following:
- “Sesquicentenario del Código de Comercio Uruguayo. De la codificación decimonónica a la recodificación del siglo XXI” (dir.), Montevideo, 2017.
- “O Panorama do Direito Comercial Uruguaio”, 2016.
- \"Panorama de Derecho Concursal” (dir), Montevideo, 2015
- \"Ley de Sociedades Comerciales. Estudios a los 25 años de su vigencia” (dir.), Montevideo, 2015.
- “Cuestiones de Derecho Bancario”, Montevideo, 2015.
- \"O fideicomisso: versão Latino-Americana do Trust”, São Paulo, 2014.
- “Grupos de Sociedades” (c.al.), Montevideo, 2014.
- “Estudios de Derecho Societario”, Rubinzal-Culzoni Editores, Buenos Aires, 2005.
- “Las Sociedades Anónimas Deportivas en el Derecho Uruguayo”, Montevideo, 2001.
- “El nuevo régimen del Derecho de la Competencia” (c.al.), Montevideo, 2001.
- \"La Refinanciación del Endeudamiento Interno\" (c.al.)
- \"Curso de Sociedades Anónimas\"
- “Corporations and Partnerships (Uruguay)” (c.al.), International Encyclopaedia of Laws, The Hague, 1997.
- “Ley de Mercado de Valores y Obligaciones Negociables” (c.al.), Montevideo, 1996.
- \"Banca Off-Shore en el Uruguay\", Montevideo, 1991.
- \"Manual de Derecho Bancario Uruguayo\", Montevideo 1989.
- \"El Leasing. Análisis de su régimen jurídico\", Montevideo 1984.
- \"Sistema de Intermediación Financiera en el Uruguay\", Montevideo, 1983.
- \"Instalación de Bancos en el Uruguay\", Montevideo, 1980.
- \"Contralor de la Banca Privada\" (c.al.), Montevideo, 1980.
- \"Casas Bancarias y Apertura Financiera. Régimen Jurídico de las Casas Bancarias\", Montevideo, 1980.
- Design and structuring of the Electronic Stock Exchange of Uruguay S.A. (BEVSA), formed by all public and private banks in Uruguay, as well as investment funds, pension funds, insurance companies and the Central Bank of Uruguay. This included the creation and structuring of the entity, the drafting of its manuals and regulations, the negotiation of technology contracts and being the President of the Stock Exchange through its foundational and launching face.
- Representation and defense of all the private Banks in Uruguay in two collective unconstitutionality actions at the Supreme Court of Justice against legislation that forced the terms for refinancing of debt with banks.
- Advice to the Banco Hipotecario del Uruguay in the structuring of “Plan Fenix”.
- Advice to the Banco Hipotecario del Uruguay to structure the program to provide syndicated loans secured with mortgages for the construction of homes.
- Refinancing of Granja Moro’s debt, which included 80% of the private banks in Uruguay, State-owned bank BROU, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and the Inter-American Investment Corporation, reaching the consent of creditors representing over 90% of the total debt.
- Hired by the World Bank to evaluate the insolvency system in Latin America.
- Creation of the Center of Conciliation and Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce, drafting of the rules of arbitration and the rules to determine arbitration fees.
- Merger of Banco de Italia and Pemar Casa Bancaria.
- Design of the license swap agreement between Bank of America and Republic National Bank.
- Joint venture between Cooperativa ACAC and Caisse National de Credit Agricole (Francia) to create Banco ACAC.
- Transformation and new structure of Centrobanco, the subsidiary of the Central Bank of Madrid in Uruguay.
- Member of the Commission of Latin American experts appointed by the Latin American Federation of Banks to inform on the draft uniform law on international bills of exchange and promissory notes prepared by UNCITRAL.
- Defense of 14 national laboratories in the broadest investigation and administrative procedure launched by General Office of Commerce for an alleged violation of antitrust rules.
- Design of the legal and financial scheme to restructure the debt of the whole health care system in Uruguay.
- Assistance to Grupo SURA, together with five other international law firms, in the acquisition of ING Groep assets in Latin America, for USD 3.8 billion.